The aims of the Society are:
1. to promote the study of the history of the traditions of European political thought;
2. to move beyond national historiographies and open up distinct comparative, transnational and supranational perspectives;
3. to promote the historical study of the relationship of the varieties of European political thought and those of other regions in the world;
4. to provide a forum in which scholars at a relatively early stage in their careers can discuss their work with one another and with more senior researchers in the field;
5. to bring together scholars interested in political thought from a variety of academic disciplines, intellectual approaches, scholarly generations and regions.